March 17, 2018, 07:04:41 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Murder Indeed  (Read 133 times)

February 26, 2018, 03:24:11 PM
Read 133 times

Of course!  But think...tomorrow's the anniversary of the first gruesome discovery of the broken Yuris, and the two who tried to return, Igor and Zaina, the fistfighters. Then Rustin, then nothing for over two months.
What was the speculation at the time, of the Missing Four?  They had just utterly vanished. Were they suspects in a grisly murder? Were they kidnapped  by this mysterious force? Or were they just not discovered, as we found out?
Did someone in authority know already their fate, so the investigation was uninteresting to the leaders?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 05:36:08 PM by SteveCalley »

March 07, 2018, 12:35:17 PM
Reply #1

I think I can answer part of this! I know for a fact that the authorities were not looking for survivors at this point, but for bodies. The initial search was meant to be a search and rescue operation (hence the contaminating of the crime scene), whilst the search for the 'Last Four' was a matter of locating the corpses (and any evidence they were thought to bear). I remember reading that as a method of corpse detection (is that what it's called?) they had resorted to attaching meat hooks to wooden poles so as to stab into the snow and see what came up. I don't remember how successful this was. I read in Matveyeva's book though that the unfortunate parents of the 'Last Four' still kept a glimmer of hope that they had escape and were alive in a settlement somewhere in the Urals, although still unaccounted for. Honestly though, I think they knew they were long gone, but that they still had some hope that their child was alive somewhere :(

As for the police who had no real connection to the students, I think they thought that there was some kind of foul play at hand after they found the first bodies. I believe they were much more careful in dealing with the crime scene the second time around, and that in it itself seems to show that the authorities knew that they were dealing with some external influence on the case rather than deaths caused purely by weather conditions alone. As for whether they were suspects of murder, I can't help but think that the thought of the 'Last Four' being involved with the deaths of their comrades must've crossed their minds. As far as I know though, not many (official) police reports or documents have been released to date– or at least have been translated to English. EDIT: Let's not forget that the 'Last Four' had been missing for not days, but months at this point. Considering that missing persons cases are statistically less likely to be resolved after the 48h window in an urban setting, imagine what that would have been like for the Dyatlov group. I highly doubt that whatever police forces involved thought that they had managed to escape at all, perhaps the fact that they were aware that they had all died lowered the morale of the search group? I don't know. I can't speak on behalf of foul play coming from within the government, though.

It is still perfectly possible that someone in the police force was aware of what had happened. That being said, if we're going full Soviet-spy novel theory and we assume it was the work of any type of secret service, I don't know how much simple investigators would have known about the case. High-ranking officials– maybe, but not the men sent out for corpse detection.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:45:04 PM by Armide »

March 12, 2018, 09:18:27 AM
Reply #2

Global Moderator
I read in one of the russian articles where the reporter was interviewing one of the search teams leaders, and he stated how he found Dubinina with an avalanche probe/pole fitted with a specific attachment for bringing up flesh on the end.  Subsequently thats how they located the Rav4.