March 17, 2018, 07:05:54 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Dead drops and spy secrets  (Read 78 times)

March 07, 2018, 07:47:37 PM
Read 78 times

So how could you hide something way out in the taiga, so only you knew where you put it - and someone could find it later?  That's called a dead drop in spy parlance.  So leave them a sign! Those nifty slashes on the spruce work great.

March 12, 2018, 09:32:14 AM
Reply #1

Global Moderator
I guess anything is possible.   The Mansi used those markings to mark trails etc, and I guess if someone had intimate knowledge of their meaning etc they could be used in such a fashion.  Or perhaps utilization of existing markings is also possible.  However, it still leaves us with MANY unknown answers.....  Most notably, why did the setup camp on the slope of that mountain when the forest was in their direct line of travel and only one mile away.... down hill.

March 12, 2018, 11:27:40 AM
Reply #2

LC, I wish I could explain camping in the open! It makes the wind more harsh, firewood far away. I don't get it.
Western intelligence was hot for information about MAYAK. The Mansi and Khanty could be used as sample gatherers and the samples could be centralized and smuggled out.
As little as I know about dead drops, they need seclusion. An abandoned geologists village would make for a warehouse of drops that ski trekkers could move about in an innocent but clandestine mission.